Thursday, October 18, 2007

Fun Fact #5: It's "ridiculous"....

I hate when people spell "ridiculous" incorrectly, especially when it's in in the form of "rediculous". I've seen it more times than I can count in the past few days, both in supposed "professional" documents and random places online. It's become my newest spelling pet peeve. My favorite use of "rediculous" had to be when someone was complaining about their hatred of improper spelling and punctuation.

My hatred of the word "rediculous" led me to Google it to make sure it wasn't some weird internet trend. And that search led me to one of the most random websites ever: http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

It's actually a pretty useful website, but reading it shows you how obsessed some people are with language. The very first entry covers one of my favorite mistakes:
When you turn 360 degrees you’ve completed a circle and are back where you started. So if you want to describe a position that’s diametrically opposed to another, the expression you want is not “360 degrees away” but “180 degrees away.”

I make stupid grammar and spelling mistakes too, but today was just espcially brutal in regards to the sheer amount of mistakes that I saw.

No comments: