Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fun Fact #22: There's more than one "fun fact" in this post

So it's been forever since I posted a "fun fact", this is not due to a lack of "fun facts" but can instead be attributed to the fact that I've actually been super busy with various things. This will probably be a longish post due to all "fun facts" that I have to share.

1) I learned how to ski in early in December and I wasn't as truly horrible as I thought I would be. My biggest injury involved my toenail getting jammed into my big toe (thanks to some too small ski boots). It doesn't sound too bad, but it was really painful and gross looking. Even now, almost a month later, my toenail is dark purple/black. I was worried it was going to fall off, but I soon realized it was going to stay securely attached to my foot and decided to paint it dark pink to hide the hideousness. Sadly, the nail polish didn't hide it and the purple shows through making my toe look even weirder.

2)I've been flying tons since being in Pittsburgh, but my most miserable flight had to be the flight back to SD in December. My flight was delayed for hours in a barren section of the Milwaukee airport. There was truly nothing there and the people were so stereotypically Midwestern and nice that I didn't even have the heart to silent judge them. I've never been so bored in my entire life. But the airline somewhat redeemed itself by offering fresh baked cookies on board in place of the standard peanuts and pretzels.

3) I went to a Bat Mitzvah that proved to be the epitome of an NY Bat/Bar Mitzvah. It was super extravagant and over the top. I was sadly seated at the kids' table with my 13 year old sister. But I wasn't too annoyed because one of my other relatives, who is over 40, was also at the kids' table with me and my cousins. We were seated right next to some super loud speakers and I was basically deaf by the end of the party. But, on a more postive note, I was able to watch a bunch of awkward thirteen year olds do that stupid "Soulja Boy" dance. I feel as though it's becoming the Macarena of that generation.


4) The Bhutto assassination was probably the most newsworthy events that occurred during my vacation. I think it's horrible that Bhutto was killed and admire her for her courage in continue to campaign even though her assassination basically looked predestined. I think the media has made her into a martyr and, in the process, has glossed over a lot of her faults. Overly fawning obituaries of obviously flawed figures really irritate me.

5) The other major event was Obama's win in Iowa. I posted a few months ago that Hillary looked like the sure-fire Democratic nomination and it's amazing how much has changed in the past few months. Hilary has certainly fallen from grace and it seems like that it's just predicated to continue in New Hampshire, where Obama was leading by a significant margin in the last minute polls. Huckabee won the Republican race but I don't see that as such a big deal because it seems unlikely that he can carry it to a national win. I definitely hope that won't happen as he's one of my least favorite candidates.

6) Oh, and I noticed some graffiti on the way home from the gym. One wall had both "Vote for Kunich" and "Vote for Ron Paul" spray painted on it. I thought it was kind of cute their names were there together because though they are from different parties they do share some major similarities. Namely that they're both the total outcast in their respective parties and they have no chance at all of winning the nomination. And, most importantly, I dislike both them.

No comments: